Most Recent Posts

Monday, July 2, 2012

¡Buenos Dias! Let's Get to Packing Already!

Three days before I leave for Africa, I decide to go out of town (road trip out of state actually) to celebrate the 4th of July by boating with some my best friends! I know, great idea, right!? That's what I was thinking! Why not go on a mini vacation for 2 days before I'm prepared to leave for my trip to Africa in 3 days!?

But if you know me, you know that's just how I roll,...spontaneously. So, today was spent running around town getting everything ready so that I will be ready for my mission trip when I get back from my vacation (I know, life is rough, don't judge... and I'm kind of crazy, you can judge that part a little)...

Primero lo primero, empecé el día con un delicioso tortilla Mexicana para comenzar las cosas ¡Vale! (I don't speak Spanish and kind of doubt the free English to Spanish Translation did it justice so in Inglés it translates: First things first, I started the day with a yummy Mexican omelet to begin things right!)

 My "¡Buenos Dias!" omelet included mushrooms, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper, 2 eggs, and sour cream and salsa... cheese obviously would be good too, but I was attempting to be healthy... come on, I've got a big day ahead of me!

After breakfast, I made a list (actually I read for awhile outside, it was beautiful out!) then I made a list and spent the rest of the morning running errands all around town getting everything that I needed for the trip, which was very exhausting and not to mention, a little unorganized...imagine that!?

When I got home, Dolly was dying for some quality time with her mama, and I was busy putting off packing so it worked out for us both.
She got brushed, a manicure, and her ears cleaned... she was obviously pretty satisfied!

Which unfortunately for me meant that it was time to get packing...

Ok, well not right away... there may've been a nap involved for a bit... Like I said, running around and trying to be organized is exhausting! Luckily, I don't have a picture of this part. All I can say is that there was a puddle of drool (which I realized when I woke up in it, always fun...) combined with an awesome dream I had of me and friends dancing around in my room to Backstreet Boys which could be interpreted as my subconscious trying to motivate me to pack.

P.S. Why is packing sooo appalling!?! You'd think you'd just want to do it, get organized, and get it over with!

Me packing consists of me doing everything I can think of while in between packing so that I don't have to be packing which obviously drags it out into taking hours longer than it should, then me getting frustrated and throwing the entire contents of my closet into a suitcase and then forgetting something stupid like underwear... which makes the anxiety of packing 100 times more of an awful experience than just doing it!

After putting it off long enough, I finally dug in, and I think my essentials are covered for now! - And don't worry, the suitcase on top (my carry-on) isn't packed yet. The bottom one is stuffed full of clothes (including underwear), and since in July, it's winter in South Africa, that doesn't help me to pack light when I'm going to be there for 2 weeks...not gonna lie though, I did bring nearly my whole closet. I have this undying fear of getting somewhere and thinking "I really wish I would've packed that." Luckily, that's not a problem I should run into on this trip!

Snacks, toiletries, meds, hand sanitizers, facial cleansing wipes (for the 17 hour flight), some activities to do with the kids - face painting, tattoos, and stickers - vitamins, ipod (for the 17 hour flight), oh, and my journal and running shoes of course... Did I mention it's a 17 hour flight?

 For me, I think I did pretty good for one day of packing. I'm not done yet obviously but the rest will have to wait since I decided that one of my distractions from packing would be to blog about packing and now my night is looking a lot more like this:


Yeah... this can definitely wait to be put off tomorrow.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment