Most Recent Posts

Sunday, July 1, 2012

So I'm Going to Africa!

For a couple of years, I'm felt a longing to do some mission work in Africa... Not sure where a desire like this even takes seed considering I've never done mission work before and the only international experience I've had was a vacation to the Riviera Maya, Mexico... but the longing has constantly been there like a splinter in the back of my mind, slowly working its way to the surface until one day it was gnawing at me again and I finally decided to look into.

That's when, 1. I found out that I hadn't been going to church enough because they were planning a mission trip to South Africa in just a month and a half, and 2. that I was in a perfect position in my life - career, family, and goal wise (fickle, single, and arbitrary at the moment) - where the timing would work perfectly for me to go!

Then, before I got really excited I stopped to look at the reality of the situation. I figured that there was no way I could sign up this late since they were already signing people up for the next mission trip that was 4 months away, let alone be able to raise the thousands of dollars it would take in such a short amount of time, and not to mention I had misplaced my passport. But the splinter had worked itself out enough to cause an aching need for me to make the phone call and ask. Long story short, within a day I had committed myself to going on a mission trip to South Africa that was only 8 weeks away!!

One thing I noticed right away, wasn't what you think would be a sense of urgency to frantically get on the passport and money raising issue, but it was an overwhelming sense peace. I knew that this was what I was supposed to be doing. Out of everything going wrong in my life, this finally felt so very right. All of the other problems, that I thought were problems, didn't seem to matter anymore. I knew and felt with all of my heart this was what I was supposed to do and that everything would work out perfectly so that I could do it. And it truly has. I leave in less than a week on an experience that is certain to be life changing.

There are a few goals in mind:

First of course, is to obviously save the world.



Second, is also obvious... to replace Simba in The Lion King.

Another goal is to discover the true meaning of the song/video "Africa" that has been a mystery to all of humankind since Toto released it in 1982...


But in all seriousness, I feel so incredibly blessed and grateful to have this amazing opportunity. The heartbreaking situation in South Africa with nearly 1000 children being orphaned every day because their parents die from AIDS is disastrous and devastating on an epic scale. The team that I'm part of from Lutheran Church of Hope and Blessman Ministries in Des Moines, IA, will be working to provide optical care and glasses for children, building dormitories, and working in feeding centers for orphans, preparing and serving meals provided by Meals from the Heartland.

The true goal is to serve God and do everything possible to help these children see and feel that they are loved and cared for. Again, I feel so very excited, grateful, and blessed to have such an amazing opportunity to be part of this wonderful mission!! ..and maybe, just maybe, I'll get to ride an elephant :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Wendi :) God WILL bless you for your contribution to humanity :)

    ReplyDelete