Most Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Prozac, Jesus, or Just Don't Give a Sh*t!

"Whatever meds you're on, I want some," a disgruntled coworker told me after griping about their day. I let out a small laugh and told them I was on no medication. "Bullsh*t!" They exclaimed. Then I confirmed that I seriously wasn't on any medication.
Looking at me unconvinced they said in a condescending tone, "What is it then? Did you find Jesus or something?"

I suppose it was true that my previously pessimistic attitude had noticeably changed over the past few months. But definitely not due to any medication. I could barely stay conscious after taking a Tylenol 3 let alone anything else. Something was definitely different though. Things, the little irritating everyday things that used to drive me crazy, just didn't seem to bother me anymore. I was genuinely in a good mood everyday! Never waking up and dreading the day like always before; instead, I was excited to wake up and face a new day's challenges. Even if they were the same challenges that I used to dread, my attitude toward them and toward everything had changed.
The person had a point, who was I?

Though I felt I knew and liked who I was now more than ever! I guess what it came down to was getting tired of being depressed and irritated for so long. After spending a lot of my energy being angry and negative for years, I finally realized that the only thing I had the power to change was my own attitude and thinking and not anyone else's. And that wasting my time being angry about the way other people act was, exactly that, a waste of time. So I made the decision to change. It didn't happen overnight, but eventually it did, after much practice of forcing myself to be positive, and changing my thinking if I didn't like something. I came to realize that people were not trying to purposely make me irritated but they were just doing the best they could with what they knew. I also learned to accept them for who they were, not expect anything different, and not take their actions personally. Also, mostly, if I could help it, I would take myself out of any negative situation that I didn't have to be in.  All of these changes effected everything about my life positively.

"So what is it?" They harped. "Prozac, Jesus, or you just don't give a sh*t?"
 "I'm not exactly sure," I said. "But I think Prozac told Jesus to tell me to stop giving a sh*t about things that don't matter!... Like this conversation." I winked, and left the room.

2 comments:

  1. Me too. Good story! :) I pretty much live off positivity. Probably to the point where it makes me look crazy sometimes. But it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete